This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Briefly,

because I am plumb worn out, and very distracted: there are so many great little shops in my neighborhood, independent businesses owned by extremely nice people who know everything about the Haight. This weekend I've had a number of lovely conversations with complete strangers. Gina is here, and she, my roommates, Matty and B, and my quietest friend down in Berkeley - everyone's been so lovely to me. Dearest sweetest Gina just brought me a glass of water, for instance, and sometimes a glass of water is the kindest thing a person can do. I don't know how I managed to accumulate such good people.

Gina's plane landed Friday night, and after a harrowing cab ride we spent the evening wandering my new neighborhood. I am almost as lost here as she is, though Gina has a natural compass that I just don't.

Saturday morning we woke at 5:30 because my new neighbors like to party underneath my window. After lying there for hours we rolled out of bed, and off I went to work at the bookstore while Gina read Tennessee Williams at a coffee shop. After work, I waited while Gina got a long massage. In the waiting room I petted an old terrier, then I found a comic book on the magazine rack - it was written (I realized) by an old coworker who now lives in Seattle. Afterwards Gina and I rode the bus home to make sandwiches, and suddenly, it was late. Then we jetted off to the Tenderloin for a very entertaining book release party, and after that, off to another party where the side table was piled with ten kinds of cheeses and five different peanut brittles and we wrote poetry on butcher paper. My friend T was resplendent in a fringed dress, and my other roommate, S, drove us hither and nigh in his biodiesel VW.

Early Sunday morning one of the neighbors' creepish pit bulls escaped and we woke early to whistling and screaming. We slept in fits and starts, then Matty and his neighbor drove over and picked us up. It's a very good thing B keeps his brakes in shape. Eeek! We saw Matty's CUTE new place, and then we walked just a few blocks to the beach. I realized that Matty lives near this restaurant called the Cliff House, meaning it's just a short bike ride away. I am overjoyed to report that Matty's in a lovely place now.

I should run. I'm being a rude host.

7 Comments:

Blogger atomicelroy said...

check this place out, it's in the hood...

Persian Aub Zam Zam Club
1633 Haight Street
San Francisco
(415) 861-2545

ONLY ORDER A MARTINI!

5:27 PM

 
Blogger Dan L. said...

Ing:

Here I was, just checking on your blog, and what do I find?...

I somehow find the whereabouts of Gina! Hey...wow! Good for you, good for her!

Hey, that is a very fine post. I enjoyed it. I wish for you...great fun to you all.

On another note...

As you may or may not know, I will be visiting Pauley Pavilion at the campus of UCLA in about two weeks. We (my daughter, Michelle, 21) will be attending the VH1 Rock Honors that honor...THE WHO!

Yea, our "cheap" seats are perched as birds in the sky, but birds do see a lot, I know.

Just thought I'd drop in to share that.

And yet again...

As I type, I am listening to TOMMY with the great "Christmas" tune.

I am happy for you to have your friends to visit. I am glad for you, be well, OK?

--Dan L.

9:08 PM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

Well, I checked in and no I am not a boss that climbs out the window and plays a tape of myself talking on the phone. However I have often thought of this strategy. Alas I work, the business requires work and I do not have anyone who I feel confident to pawn off my duty's. So I push the boulder up the hill, knowing with each push, I am working in a Corporate run Republic and do not have the foresight or stomach to become part of this Republic.(I suppose I need to sign up for a sociopath retreat to solve this issue)
Great to see you happy and still fighting the powers that be. Sounds like fun, enjoy and yes I am happy for you, and suggest you stay happy. Yep, sound advice, stay happy. JW

9:18 PM

 
Blogger purplesime said...

Yay! That's all I need to say.

purplesimon out...

3:13 AM

 
Blogger ginab said...

Yes, atomic, Zam Zam's! Great m-bar and then the m-bartender will shoot you a shot of Jameson's for $7 a go. Love the music; Sam Cook!

Hi DanL! I know you and all will have a good time.

Hi Simon...yay ideedy dove.

Hi josh. Ing is not a bad host at all.

We're about to cook; or, I'm about to take credit for her culinary skills because I'm a terrible guest!

Going by "visitor", I did watch and learn how to pee in the street as a woman from a street woman I'll likely never forget.

Good lesson?

Love you Ing!

5:25 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

Ach, ginab took over my blog!

Atomicelroy:

Love the curved bar. But have you ever noticed anything funny about the smell. . . ? It's as though someone died and their corpse was left in a deep puddle of street runoff beneath the floor where it fermented, for months and months, until it turned into a human-shaped block of cheese.

________________

Dan L.:

Say hi to Rog. for me, and remind him to wear a shirt. I don't want him to catch cold again.

Good times and best wishes to you and the family!

_________________

Josh:

For as long as possible, yes, I will stay happy. And if you need any help pushing that boulder. . . well, I'll do it for 50k a year plus six weeks' annual vacation. What do you say?

____________________

Purps:

Double yay! Yay Yay!

_____________________

Ginab:

Thanks for taking care of so many things while you're guesting & keeping the conversation going . . .

8:05 AM

 
Blogger atomicelroy said...

GinaBB,
When I was there a number of years ago I ordered a Manhattan and Bruno the barkeep was quite perturbed.

Ing,
Never noticed, but what a great Hitchcockian suspense movie plot.

2:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home