This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

So Everyone

Today I found out for sure that I secured my new place. I'll finally have the room to set up my sewing machine, and I'll have a patch of ground in which to plant giant flowers, and space to set up a writing desk, and huge bay windows, and a little fireplace. Oh, a record player – this place has one! This is a strange transition. I'm about to shed something that needs shedding, and to create happier things to remember later on, and I'll finally be able to sleep in an adult-sized bed. I might even be able to take a class. I don't know whether to try improv, or playwriting, or karate, or to just wait a bit. I'm learning to live amongst people, and I guess I'm starting to figure out where I fit in & maybe even feel all right with myself.

AND Bonnie "Prince" Billy's new album, Lie Down In The Light is out. Today I listened to track three, "So Everyone," at top volume, a number of times. And though Matty thinks I'm being too literal, I believe this song is about how it would feel to receive oral sex in public. But there's definitely a super interesting and less literal read, where the song is about how great it is to be loved by someone, and how being loved without reservation or shame elevates us, affirms us, makes us so great within ourselves and outside of ourselves, too. The song acknowledges the joy of being recognized by everyone for being worthy of love; I don't think I've ever heard a song address this particular feeling before, and that's why I love Will Oldham so much. He explores identity in such a thorough, honest way.

If you're interested, you can download the mp3 here & give it a listen:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g0mwue5wpxl


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger purplesime said...

Hey Ing,
I'm still downloading to see if I agree.

You seem much more balanced and settled in this post, so I hope that means you're getting more balanced and settled. Not that you were unhinged or anything :)

Hope the new place enlivens the sense and you feel able to breathe out.

Be cool to see some writing, should the new place bring forth a gush of words.

'Til then

purplesimon out...

3:41 AM

 
Blogger purplesime said...

Jeez, you're right!

OMG. There's not denying it with those words! Unless it's about being on public transport and not just on the street?

Which reminds me, did you hear/see that YouTube clip of the Dutch train driver getting herself off but forgetting in her haste to switch off the intercom? Mildly amusing :)

I'll link it so if you're intrigued you can go listen. Seriously bizarre thing to post in your comments, but there you go. We British are known for our eccentricities. :)

purplesimon out...

3:49 AM

 
Blogger matty said...

Yay! Giant flowers and a record player!!!

Now, you can FINALLY make me those glitter bell-bottom'd jeans you've been promising me!!!!

2:43 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

Purps!

Meh, I'm fine, always. I get kind of down sometimes, and scared, too. But I'm pretty good at getting through stuff, and I can do it all by myself! 'Course, I have a couple of great friends who've made it all a lot easier just by talking me through it & encouraging me to try new things. I'm positive the new place will enliven me for a bit. I'm so ready for a change, and this one seems like a good, conscious choice, though I know it won't be the easiest thing in the world.

I hope I get some good writing done, too. That would be great.

And yeah, those lyrics! There's no denying it, Will Oldham is singing about getting a public blow job! I will click on the link when I get home - just about to go see a movie - let's see if I can answer Matty before my ride gets here.
_______________

Matty:

You are going to LOVE my place! It's a really really really old house with all kinds of strange nooks and drafts. AND I'm going to get a round bed, just like I've always wanted since forever!

I will get started on those jeans, and I'll make you a denim hat to match, and you will be so cool! All I ask is that you wear your rainbow suspenders and a tight yellow t-shirt. And I think it would be best if you a) juggled or b) had a pet parrot on your shoulder c) had a remote-control airplane. Some kind of gimmick. I'd add roller skates to the options, but we both know what happens when you get on roller skates.

Okay, I guess I have time to watch that filthy video Purps linked me to. Off I go to check it out. . .

6:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home