This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

I Want So Badly to be Good at my Job,

so I've got to make a few changes, right now!

1. I need to be more patient. Machines sometimes slow down or malfunction. I need to understand that most tasks will take much longer than I want them to, because rarely does life run smoothly. I can only do what there's time to do, and getting mad at myself won't make me more efficient, it'll just make things unpleasant for me and for others.

2. I need to remind myself, always, of the things I do right, and to remind other people, too, sometimes. In other words, I need to offer myself more encouragement & take heart, and to keep firmly in mind the lovely compliments I've received since I started. (I need to give my officemate a Valentine's card.)

3. I need to keep my chin up, because in the long run I can't please everyone. If another person is displeased, I might not have the power to affect what has caused the displeasure in the first place. And if that's the case, I simply can't let that bother me — though I'm a very responsible person, it's irresponsible to blame myself for what I can't even control. But I can be as kind as possible because really, I value kindness above all else.

4. I need to remember, always, that I can't possibly excel at a skill that requires years of practice and knowledge to learn. In other words, I have to remember my limitations and accept that though I strongly desire to be excellent, I'm still acquiring abilities.

5. I need to let go and trust other people and delegate. This I know I can change because we have an assistant now and I already trust her. Still, though, I could do better.

6. I need to remember that there are a number of things I don't need to change and that overall, I really am good at my job. My impression of myself matters, too, and it even makes a difference.

(Am I boring you? Am I being kind of corny? Well, sorry, but this blog is about ME!)

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

You're not boring--just remember to have fun!

5:15 PM

 
Blogger Ahvarahn said...

7. I need to remember, that no mater how much the urge takes me, that I should never, under no circumstances, Xerox my little derrière on the copy machine, em, eh,…during core office hours.

5:21 PM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

I read your previous post, stereo installation is a nightmare and who have you ever met went to a stereo installing trade school. Good luck.
As for your job, your doing fine, caring and trying counts and being smart helps as well, so rest easy your doing just fine and stuff.

5:30 PM

 
Blogger ginab said...

You are thine own compass. Might I add: for workers set before machines made and paid to communicate with outsiders also set before machines. Everyone good at their job, professional-like, could glean a thing or 12 from your list of 6 (given A's temptuous 7!).

12:01 AM

 
Blogger matty said...

You ARE and have ALWAYS been good at your job! ...If you were failing -- they wouldn't have retained you after you first 90 days. And, they continue to leave you with very important responsibilities all of which you take and pursue with a great degree of professionalism.

You're far too hard on yourself. And, I think, you tend to undervalue yourself so very much.

However, this is part of the reason you succeed. You push hard.

You rock.

You own it.

You can do it.

And, you can find a way to enjoy it.

And, there is one thing that is a total constant: You ARE NEVER Boring!

love,
me

6:04 AM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

You know, the Matt fella made some pretty valid points.

10:33 AM

 
Blogger ing said...

Sage:

I'll do my best, and that's great advice. It'd be easier to remember if I traveled to the desert every so often. Which, now that I have a new car, I need to plan a spring road trip. Last weekend I went to a lovely slough and saw all kinds of bird through binoculars while this funny little April-shower-type rain (couldn't make up its mind) came down between sunbursts and the wind tied my hair up in knots. Ahhhh.

_______________

Avarahn:

No, please, not during office hours! After hours, anything goes & should be signed, mounted, and framed.

Thanks for the reminder. Now that I'm 40, my memory fails me sometimes.

_________________

Josh:

You know, I think I could have installed that stereo myself if only I had a soldering gun. Maybe wire nuts and duct tape would've done the trick in its stead. Hmmmmm. But the kids who did end up installing it did SUCH a great job, and they were fast, and if I was in the mafia I'd hire them.

And you are sweet! Thanks for being a nice guy, Josh, really.

_____________________

ginab:

You think? It helps me to make lists sometimes (as you pointed out yesterday over the phone), but I wonder if, as Matty says, I"m being too hard on myself. It's tough to figure out what's fair and what isn't, and while I honestly and truly mean first to be kind, I do try very hard to be kind also to myself.

____________________

Matty:

I just love you so much! But I don't think I undervalue myself. . . not really. I just value my deep-down values extremely.

And yes, I think I can excel and do better than I ever dreamed I could do and be really great at certain things. It's just hard not to be excellent right at the outset. For me, anyway. Which is okay being kind of hard on myself.

No matter, you make me happy!!!!!!

___________________

Josh:

If you ever come to San Fran, I am going to buy you a beer. You are good people and mis amigos son tus amigos.

7:40 PM

 
Blogger ginab said...

No, I don't think so. In English: you communicate on the job through a machine and so does each recipient/client/'outsider'. There's a real huge break in human spirit in the middle, and nothing you can do about it (whatever 'it' might be that minute).

That's what I was saying.

2:04 PM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

Thanks ing I would take that beer and I would drink it by golly. Cheers

7:36 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

ginab:

There are many, many breaks in the broken human spirit. Sometimes I wonder what's going on with all of us. . .

___________

Josh:

Have one for me, then, and cheers.

6:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home