This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Once again

it's Sunday, and I am shocked. Just last week my improv teacher had a head of thick, gorgeous, silver hair. This week, however, his hair was black. What happened? I didn't ask. Maybe he'd dyed it in service or a role, or maybe he's trying to look younger. Either way, it was jarring.

Still, I recovered and had the best improv class ever because we got to practice beginning a scene, which was very easy for me. Pairs of us took turns standing up in front of the class to establish in three sentences (while of course using our hands and bodies to help out) where we were, what we were doing, and who each of us was in relation to our partner.

The toughest exercise was when we had to walk around the room, silently projecting emotions. So let's say our task was "contentment." On a scale of intensity ranging from one to ten, we might start with a six, which was fairly easy, then we'd ramp it up to a nine. The hard part was when we had to turn down the level to two, meaning that we were to walk as though we were feeling content on the inside, though the outside world might not necessarily see it.

After this exercise, I discussed with a classmate what we'd experienced, and woah, that was interesting! He said that feeling and behaving like a shy person was easy for him, but at the point when everyone was supposed to feel and project varying levels of being in love, he didn't know what to feel.

* * *


ANYWAY, Matty, I did too call you! I called you this morning! But you did not answer! I left you a message, and you didn't listen to it! I did!

And to everyone else, I'm sorry I wasn't around much this weekend, but muh' social life, muh' jobs, muh' class - it all takes up a bunch of time, and I'm still not very good at rearranging the pieces. I do, however, have a weird-looking sunburn from walking on Bernal hill Saturday afternoon.

Look at my desk! Isn't it neat? I hope that soon I can find more time to write stuff. . .

9 Comments:

Blogger Maddie said...

Improv sounds like a lot of fun!

I've recently started sewing - love it!

10:56 PM

 
Blogger Karen Little said...

Why don't men understand that their salt'n'pepper crops are gorgeous? Why, why, why do they insist on hiding their hotness beneath - yuck - hair dye?!

I am really impressed that you sew - it's something I've never learned to do. Well, actually, I can sew skin together, but could never make myself a dress, which would be infinitely more useful.

6:48 AM

 
Blogger ginab said...

Once again you look marvelous! What's with the toaster, I wonder?

not sure about gorgeous grays or silvered heads. Jarring though is precise (I'd say and I wasn't even there!).

Sounds like you know where you be, who you be, all of it. Nice writing space.

-ginab

8:53 AM

 
Blogger matty said...

Improv sounds scray! My hat is off to you! You're kicking ass!

And, I'm sorry! I've since listened to your voicemail!

I'm looking at my Ingrid doll right now!

So hot!

12:49 PM

 
Blogger Ren said...

Give me a chicken burrito from Chipotle with fresh corn salsa, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, and guacamole, and I will fake contentment any time.

I can also fake interest in front of my bosses.

5:29 PM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

Nice picture of you and I am even more impressed that you write with what looks like a sewing machine.
Pure raw talent, outside of the box talent...Why hair dye, I have no idea, I have so far not had this issue to deal with, he should be happy he has hair. I was talking to a guy the other day and I think he was 58 and he told me he went from being blond to a blackish brown hair color, instead of gray, from what I could tell, something I am not sure I believe his beard was gray, his hair was dark?
I dunno I think I will shave now so I do not have to in the morning thanks for reminding me, early meeting and I suspect I will not have a five O shadow yet...Always a pleasure visiting Jw

5:46 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

Pants:

It is, improv is a blast!

As for sewing, I haven't gone much further than unpacking the machine, but I hope to get some sewing done soon. . .

___________

karen little!:

Yes, I agree - toupees and hair dye don't really work.

And I used to sew- it's been a couple of years, at least. Believe me, sewing a dress is easy!! I bet it's easier than sewing skin, because nobody's health or life is on the line.

______________

ginab:

Thanks! I still have my grandma's vintage toaster, but alas, our kitchen doesn't need an extra. I'm not parting with the toaster, so on the shelf it stays.

Today, ginab, I am feeling down. My job is rough.

________________

matty:

It's funny, but the class isn't scary at all! It's just plain fun, and I'm used to everyone else now, so it's all just fine.

I'm glad you think your doll is hot, as she does look exactly like me. Especially in the boob area.

_________________

ren:

Would that really be faked contentment, or would it be real?? (I'll take your word for it on the interest part. . .)

__________________

josh:

Writing with a sewing machine, yes. It's called "mechanical cross stitch."

You are not bald and you are not gray - I knew it, Josh! I knew you were some kid from Indiana!

6:00 PM

 
Blogger ginab said...

today is yesterday was tomorrow.

12:15 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

ginab:

So what happens next?

7:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home