This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

It's Easy To Like The Ones Who Bring Out The Best In Us

I had my improv class today, and it's funny how just by staring into someone else's eyes while you and that other person take turns making up a story — by listening intently and building on what the other says — you can suddenly experience a strong liking for that person, and then it's easier to remember their name.

In my class we're doing all kinds of exercises that are meant to get us to respond quickly, without first judging ourselves or worrying that our responses won't sound clever. Which doesn't prevent me from getting nervous sometimes. Wouldn't it be easier to remain in the background, smirking cleverly to myself to disguise the fact that I'm really quite dull?

Today those feelings didn't bother me too much, but I think they were bothering my partner. I guess he can't hear himself and has no idea how clever he is. Or maybe he's getting an idea of it by listening to me build on his ideas, just as he builds on mine, so what we're really hearing is our ideas becoming stories we tell for each other as much as to each other.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ren said...

You are always funnier than you think... In your mind.

5:48 AM

 
Blogger Ahvarahn said...

i love the golden rule of improv, the rule of agreement, to never turn down the suggestiuon from a 'partner', just roll with it.

4:21 PM

 
Blogger atomicelroy said...

yes ahvarahn, I agree...

11:19 PM

 
Blogger purplesime said...

Um. What to say?

purplesimon out...

2:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

post-5005724709939176437Mon, 21 Jul 2008 02:39:00 +00002008-07-20T20:17:34

1:48 PM

 
Blogger sage said...

I makes sense that if you don't listen to someone, you'll never like 'em.

but I don't think I'd listen to Kaicevy

6:19 PM

 
Blogger Ticharu said...

Hello hello, I'm back! Improv class sounds like everyday in a way, I mean, it's always improvised isn't it? Life? :)

7:31 PM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

Actually that sounds like fun, I perform daily, a routine, and I have customers that play along, like improv. My entire life is improv I suspect, but I do have a plan, as soon as I come up with it I will let you know.
Until then I will continue to visit parties,meetings etc and hope I find a partner or two to bounce ideas off of, so many people have a script, I find sales scripts to be a form of deceit.
As you well know agnostics always frown upon deceit. Yet in most social situations I am forced to follow a script which leaves me ready for the instinctive flight response.
Why is an agnostic so unnerved by lies and deceit, my kingdom for the sociopath's gift!

9:17 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

Ren:

In my mind, I'm laughing so hard I get a hernia, and the ambulance comes, and I wind up in the hospital. My mind-doctor is totally hot, and he asks me out.

_________________

avarahn:

Me too. But I need practice. It's hard to say yes.

__________________

atomicelroy:

I agree with your agreeable stance.

____________________

purps:

Yes.

____________________

kaicevy:

Exactly. Isn't math fun?

____________________

sage:

I think some people wind up liking others because they aren't ever required to listen & they always have license to speak.

I take it you don't like math?

____________________

rk:

Wow, nice haircut! I'm a little sad that you cut that beautiful, beautiful hair, but the short style looks really good on you.

_____________________

Josh:

Well, it sounds like you'd be fun to have around. Will you take over Ten Speed Press and be my boss?

I'm sorry that you haven't accessed your inner sociopath, but in good time, it may come to you. Especially if you continue on in sales. . .

6:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home