This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

The First Day At My New Job

was great! Wow!

But let me backtrack a little.

My LAST day at Phoenix Books was great, too. I met my artist-friend Tina there, as she will be taking over many of my shifts. We hung out at the counter for a while (someone else was running the place, so we were free), then off we went for pizza and martini makings. 45 minutes later we returned, and for the last hour of the night we had vodka martinis and greek slices. Yum! I spent a little sad time lamenting the fact that for the rest of my life, it's unlikely I'll get to drink on the job. Then the time came, and we closed up the store.

Let me tell you, folks, I loved that bookstore with all my heart. When I landed in San Francisco, I was desperate for a job and I needed a place to rest and to breathe. I had so much fun at the bookstore, and I learned a lot about the local music scene, and I made some really great friends there. Especially Tina, who's exactly my kind of person. I can't exactly tell you why. But it's sort of like falling in love: you meet the person, and you just know that you like them. It's how I felt about Matty and Ginab when I met them, too.

Why are friends so much easier to find than romantic partners?!

Anyway, I had my last day, and the next day I had a day off. I spent it at the doctor's, as I can't seem to shake this disgusting sinus cold. After checking me over, the doctor declared me freakishly healthy and strong. She said that I'd just have to be patient and let my immune system do its thang. No antibiotics. I wasn't thrilled about showing up to my new workplace all sinus-y and dripping, but such is life.

This morning, my first day at the new place, I woke up sleepy because I was just too excited to rest, and though I'd set my alarm, I hadn't needed it. I hopped on the train, the bart, and then took a walk through North Berkeley. Along the way, I heard someone call my name. It was my ex-boss, Kate, who owns the bookstore, in a cool orange Karmann-Ghia! She pulled over and we talked a bit. It was awesome to see her! And what a coincidence, just as I was on my way to my first day at Tenspeed.

Which, take a gander at the front door!



I don't know about you, but I find this entrance inviting, cute, and just the kind of thing I'd love to walk through every morning! Isn't it neat?

My first day was a bit overwhelming. I have a lot to learn. A LOT! But I'm confident I can do it! And I think I'm going to love it! And I'd even venture to say that after a little adjusting, I think I will be good at it!

The building is just lovely, the people who work there seems very smart, we have not only yoga on Thursdays but massages on Fridays, and WOW, I'll have my own little office space, business cards, and most of all I'll be working to publicize a bunch of exciting new books, which, I'm going to be SO PROUD to see these things sell!!!!!!!

I've worked in a lot of places over the years, and NEVER have I seen such a beautiful "break room" as this spot, where I enjoyed my little homemade sandwich:



Isn't it pretty?!?!

All right, I need to get to bed so I will sparkle in the morning!

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger ginab said...

Hey there sniffles!

I love the door and the terrace AND that Tina is there in the bookstore. And of course I do not know why friends are profound and for this reason (perhaps I do know!) are easier and so much more fun, absolutely, than...question marks. blah.

My Netscape kept crashing on me and so I was here to say just as much before, glad to have the first comment! But blah...Netscape is another kind of question mark.

I'm so pleased as punch for you. yeah. What does that mean? Have I seen punch smile demurely? Have you? If so, please give us a picture because that would be me, red with fruit slices and vino, smiling just in that way that only punch can.

Good for a cold, too!

xo-gina+bb

9:24 PM

 
Blogger matty said...

That looks like such a cool place!!!!!

And, I'm so excited and happy for you!!!!

Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

...and, I wanna business card, please!

10:12 PM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

Neat that you meet your old boss, great that you left on good terms. The photo's look as if you are working in a cool space. This is good great for the spirit,I am sure you will prove them correct in their decision to hire you...JW

6:21 PM

 
Blogger Ren said...

Congrats on the new job!

1:52 PM

 
Blogger Ahvarahn said...

Happy Days Ing, I'm happy for you. The pictures make it feel like a vacation, and a delightful verandah to have your sandwich.

It so much easier to feel comfortable with a homemade sandwich as opposed to something you might try to find at the store. The ones at the store are full of superfluous fillings designed to attract a wide range of potential interested parties or admirers. Nevertheless, you know, if you get one of those, and chuck away the bits you don’t like, you just might make it your own.

Paul.

6:49 PM

 
Blogger matty said...

rake-eeeeeeee

(i'm wearing disco rollerskates as I type this...)

6:30 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

ginab:

Heyyyo!

My sniffles are almost, but not quite, gone. I spent lunchtime at the terrace, once again. Tomorrow UPS will deliver my roller skates, so I may skip lunch so I can roll around the parking lot for a bit.

I can only imagine punch smiling if it's a sangria kind of punch with red wine and orange slices. For my cold I will drink orange juice and try to get some sleep. Last night didn't count. I had a book to read for work.

I'm off to bed in a couple of hours -- I need to be fresh in the morning! I finished a new book on Reiki teaching, and now I'm onto alternative medical approaches to cancer.

________________

Thanks Matty! I don't know when I'll get my business cards, but I'll be sure to pass one along to YOU. Do you think they'll help me pick up men? 'Course I don't want them calling my office!

_________________

Josh:

Thanks! I sure hope so. . . I'm pretty sure I can make them happy. Maybe even ecstatic. I will publicize until I've sold as much as I can possibly sell.

__________________

Thanks, ren.

__________________

Matty:

My disco skates arrived, too, but I wasn't at home to accept them! UPS will drop them off at work tomorrow! I will be the envy of my entire office, just you wait and see!

8:20 PM

 
Blogger Mone said...

Hidee, hope you had a nice Easter! Wow, what a beautiful place to work. I would soo much love it there. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

3:52 AM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

So how is work?

5:50 PM

 
Blogger matty said...

remember the good ol' days when Ing would update on us on her world.

...now, we're cast aside.

...forgotten.

...but, I'm kept in the "know" and this weekend she and I shall roller skate down Lombard Street at top speed! Without helmets! Rock on!

And, no. Business cards don't get you men. But, they sometimes will win you a free lunch.

7:10 PM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

ing, here is the staight dope. Roscoe has finally been publised, funny stuff and as his agent I have to suggest you buy a copy when it is released...When I dunno kinda of a dramatic marketing thing...But let me assure you, when you buy this novel, your luck will change for the better and you will laugh...

8:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home