This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Good News

Is that Matty landed a great job. I'm not sure what he's going to be doing, but it sounds both funky and high-powered and it has something to do with a nonprofit and cool coworkers and editing film. I'm so proud of him. In only a month, he did it. I'm not surprised, though. I'm always astounded by his perseverance and drive.

I'm still looking for a place to live, and today Matty and B showed my around the lower Haight, which is where I think I want to be. I applied for a tiny place there on a lovely, wide street flanked by nicely-painted Victorians. I hope I get it. There were no refrigerators abandoned on the sidewalks, no spraypaint on the sides of the houses, no empty boxes and old stereos in the gutter. I'd be allowed to have one well-behaved pet, and it's an easy bike ride to the bookstore where I work. Just down the street there were lots of little restaurants and stores. Good-looking guys everywhere, and perhaps some of them were straight, who knows?

Best of all, it's only a few blocks away from Matty, and while I don't want to be a nuisance, I'd feel safer and happier knowing he was nearby. Okay, I don't just mean happier, I mean filled with joy. Through all of this, he makes me feel as though it's possible. And B seems to understand my anxiety. He told me something last night -- backsliding is normal, and to be expected. We go up, and we go down, and then we go up again. But the ups go a little higher each time, so if we have patience, we'll get to the top of the hill. It's a very San Francisco metaphor, as it mimics the layout of our streets.

Matty and B are lucky indeed to have found each other, and I'm honored to be their friend. When I'm feeling better, I want so badly to return the favor.

I also have to thank my boss as KQED for letting me take a little break. I sure hope my next play review is a good one.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Mone said...

I remember the lower Haight sweetly and I hope you'll get the place. Just remember - the best looking guys are gay, thats too bad!

6:10 AM

 
Blogger ginab said...

Fingers crossed. Maybe 'twas through Craig's List?

I like your reviews. KQED needs a break. ;-) Actually, people can be reasonable.

I reasonably need to make like a plow through snow (Ms beabs needs her run!).

-ginab

PS: yeah Matty!!!

8:54 AM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

Dang, I have missed a bunch, I need to check in more often. Good luck on your apartment, and getting back on track. No bicycles here this time of year, the roads are icy its around 28 degree's, I shiver. Kind Regards JW

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

It sounds like heaven. Well, nearer to heaven.

2:37 PM

 
Blogger Metalchick said...

Congratulations to Matty for landing a new job!

I hope you get that place too, it sounds really nice!

Take care.

9:19 PM

 
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Nice neighbourhood- I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well. I hope it all works out for you.

Congrats to Matty!

5:00 AM

 
Blogger matty said...

Ing --- You don't need to return anything!!!! Your friendship and love is worth more than any amount of anything I can think of.

You will get the apartment! And, now, there are two options about to open up!!!! ...It is so exciting to see which one becomes the glam new home of our Ing!!!!

And, yeah! There were some hot boys about and I think most were straight in that part of the hood! You were certainly getting some looks from 'em!!

And, yay! I've a job!!! Yay! Employment and Glitter money! ...not to mention my portion of the rent! LOL!

11:40 AM

 
Blogger Dan L. said...

Hey there, Ing:

I know what a difficult place it might be to find a peaceful abode in S.F. As beautiful as that city is, is has the same old big city problems.

All that aside, you are obviously a tough kid, and got the job done. Bravo!

I was in Haight in 1967. Things have changed a bit.

Stay cool,

--Dan L.

9:56 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

Mone:

Using B and Matty and my friend A. K. as examples of such, yes, gay men are quite handsome. But so are straight woodworkers. . . There are plenty beautiful men to go around, and a beautiful soul makes a beautiful men. The rest, I have no time for.

Ahhh, the Lower Haight. Charming and hip and much less grimy than The Mission. Cute hippies!

_______________

Ginab:

Yes, craigslist, my savior. My boss at KQED is quite reasonable, I discovered (I'm still learning about bosses and reasonableness, and I get to meet him in person soon. I heard through the grapevine that he's a super cool person.)

Make like a plough, do! Stomp through the furry depth of it, you industrious beanpole swimmer, you!

Yeah, Matty!!! An inspiration, that man.

______________

Joshsie:

I know, I haven't been checking in on you lately. As you can see, chaos has taken a toll. Give me a couple of weeks and you won't be able to get rid of me. Thanks for stopping by, old friend.

Here, it's warm and we're hit by sudden showers all day long. It feels like cherry blossoms around here.

________________

spinning girl:

Always nearer, though the way to it is flanked by devils.

_________________

metalchick:

I thank you for the kind thoughts. Great picture, by the way! You look like a punk rock intellectual.

__________________

anne-marie:

You have a queenly name, and hyphenated names remind me of feminism (which, I'm a sister outsider). Thanks!

___________________

matty:

I know, I know. But I still want to give something back, because you've provided the net that gave me the courage to keep walking this stupid rope. Besides, I have your baby picture in a frame.

And yes, cute boys. Wait until the weather gets warmer. . . There will be fewer cute boys on the streets of the Lower Haight, if I have anything to do with it. I think I know how to keep 'em occupied.

Don't spend all your money on glitter, my friend.

________________

dan l.:

You lived in Haight-Ahsbury? Ye gods! Did you ever run into R. Crumb? Jerry? Ms. Slick? Señor Manson? Did you let your freak flag fly, as you were advised to?

Yes, things have changed. Now The Haight is full of pizza parlors and used clothing stores. Fancy used clothing stores, mind you, full of fancy stuff. I have some exploring to do. . .

10:59 PM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

Here I thought my reviews were going to bring Amazon to its knees, yet like a sci-fi monster it only grows stronger. I fear I have played into their hands...My biggest regret.

6:26 AM

 
Blogger matty said...

I think you need to nab that hot straight guy who waited on us at the far too healthy restaurant! He was hot!

...There is this Glitter Stick I have my eye one. I figure I can use it for my summer Your Disco Needs You dance number!

8:56 AM

 
Blogger ginab said...

Another condition on the KQED boss: he better be cute!

Or else, go for that straight cuter than legal guy Matty is glitter beaming about!

-ginab

PS: I saw "Little Miss Sunshine" last night and I ROARED with laughter. Damn funny. Up and down and all around, and then everyone so darn natural!

8:10 PM

 
Blogger ginab said...

weird. just testing. no one can comment on my blog. mine.

i'm special, so special, i gotta have some attention...yeah!

-ginab

3:13 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

You read a lot, huh?

6:16 PM

 
Blogger matty said...

Oh, Gina's comment made me think of how very much I love LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE!
...I still don't really get why you and B dislike it so!

Hey! Countdown to your new home starting now!!!!!!

Whoo-hoo!!!

6:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home