This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Tomorrow, I'm Back To Work

Tonight's yoga class was the best I've ever had. The mantra was "strength," and we did lots of balancing poses during which we tightened our bellies and suspended various limbs in the air for long periods of time. My legs and feet feel great. I now understand how strength has improved my balance.

Not to be all New-Agey. Because I'm not. I guess I used to seem that way, though, because when I was younger I was always getting approached by cult recruiters. One had dreadlocks and offered me a free vegetarian dinner. I knew better.



ANYWAY,

yesterday I took the bus to Third and Mission, the SFMOMA. I went to see two things: 1. the Phil Collins documentary called dünya dinlemiyor (the world won't listen), and 2. the Anselm Keifer exhibit.

1.




In the documentary, young Istanbulis (is that what they're called?) sing karaoke tracks from The Smiths' The Smiths album. Most fascinating is the way the subjects behave, because each is obviously aware that s/he's being filmed; many of the performances begin awkwardly. In this awkwardness lies a clue to the humanity of each singer. The strange becomes familiar. It's a wonderful feeling.

2.





Anselm Keifer is this German guy who painted large, sad-looking paintings in browns, grays, whites and blacks. His sculptures are made out of lead, and it's always night in his work. He uses lots of heavy symbols, like snakes and flames and stairs. I guess he was trying to remind his fellow Germans that the Holocaust did, indeed, happen and that we must face the things we are ashamed of because facing shame is a form of spiritual struggle. Or at least, that's how I interpreted it.

At the end of my glorious day off, I strolled around the gift shop, where I really didn't want to buy anything. Except this poster, which I did buy, and which I just love. It's one of Chuck Close's self-portraits.



This year I got a pretty great Christmas bonus. I now have a bike rack for my car, Matty's baby picture is properly framed, and my existence is rapidly improving. It's time for me to chill on the spending.

17 Comments:

Blogger matty said...

Oh dear, not the dreaded baby picture that scares people!?!?!? ...even my own mother hid them away in a box for over 30 years.

I have no blance. ...especially today, but I do think I am strong.

I think I do tend to be New Age-y unless Enya gets involved. That woman's music is most worrying. However, I used to get approached by those folks all the time when I first moved to Boston. Due to the fact that I could only afford one meal a day back then, I always accepted their invites to dinner. I spent the night once. It was odd. But, I was never worried that they would kidnap me and make me worship the moon or anything.

Lucky that they didn't. They served lots of hummice and odd rice things. ...with really good tea. I would have left had any kool aid been offered.

10:21 AM

 
Blogger ginab said...

Not sure I could handle being stared at by Chuck Close, but that's all taste and preference. I like how you skate over Phil Collins. A friend of mine cannot stand the curl of his voice.

I thought someone else bought the rack? I know about stopping spending. I'm going to start gambling. I think I have permission. My grandma used to wear all shades of red--deep, deep reds--of lipstick.

11:19 AM

 
Blogger matty said...

Ing - Oh dear. Gina has made me worried. You've not taken to listening to the soft song-stylings of one, Mr. Phil Collins have you!?!?!?!

3:21 PM

 
Blogger Ahvarahn said...

I cannot stand the curl of that Phil Collins' everything, but THIS Phil Collins, Ing's Phil Collins, is that photographer chap who likes to hang around trouble spots like, ahem, my dear Belfast, and so on and so forth. As they say, when the store shutters are down (i.e trouble is in town) he's usually around -I can feel it coming in the air tonight, indeed.

6:23 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

matty:

It's so adorable, the way you silently judge us in that photo. I thought I'd hang it across from my bed so that at night I could dream of how to satisfy such a prophetic, skeptical child.

I don't know where you get your strength, but Matty, you are strong. Me too, I think, though I'm a-scared to dine with the Hare Krishnas.

Why did you not tell me that you like Middle Eastern food?!? I would've made tabbouleh for Christmas, had I known.

"Sindy" is reclining on one of my speakers and the sparkling angel expands his chest at the beginning of my anthologies. Speaking of which, have you seenthis statue, which is near Its Beach in Santa Cruz?

_______________

ginab:

He's not staring, he's just sort of blanking out while you talk to him, lost in his own thoughts. I wouldn't marry Chuck Close, but isn't his way of seeing pretty interesting?! I think so!

Phil who?

Yes, my mother paid for the bike rack, bless her soul. A Christmas present. She likes that I exercise. With a little of my bonus money, I'm going to get my own yoga mat. It's going to be hot pink.

_____________

matty:


Soft, perhaps, but remember "In The Air Tonight?" Spazmatazz.

______________

avarahn:

What a great job Mr. Phil Collins has! Life is much more interesting when we really see it.

_______________

vesper:

I guess the one I like is called Iyengar. There's no cardio element, really, but there's lots of strength training, as we hold the poses for long-ish periods of time. It reminds me of gymnastics, but without the social pressure.

11:06 PM

 
Blogger matty said...

Oh, no. I don't like Middle Eastern food. I used to like it. Tho, I only ate it then because I was starving and I found the devotion of those kids interesting. Of course, back then they were not really so much kids. They were all about my age (or maybe even older) ...I was fresh out of college. Anyway, too much garlic. Makes me sick. I'm alergic.

No. I had not seen that statue. I need to go see it. I need to touch it. ...and, uh, you can't watch.

"Against All Odds" was my high school graduating class song. I hated that even then. Yes, I'm freshly 40.

...you're strong, too. You were smart not to eat with the Krishnas. ...they could have tossed you in a closet and make you rob banks. No. Wait. Different group. Sorry.

1:48 AM

 
Blogger Ahvarahn said...

"What a great job Mr. Phil Collins has! Life is much more interesting when we really see it."

i agree so much that my toes curl up like Aladdin Shoes

3:14 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

Matty:

My icky graduation song beats yours -- it was Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love Of All."

I believe the children are our future,
teach them well and let them lead the way,
show them all the beauty they possess insiiide

(etc.)

You really MUST see that statue, in person!

______________

Avarahn:

Curly toes? Yes!

6:25 PM

 
Blogger matty said...

Ing, You are correct. That was a far worse choice for a graduation song. I am so sorry.

Let's go see that statue!

6:37 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

Only if you promise to try surfing with me! You and B would LOVE the beach in SC. Cilffs, dogs, and tons of cute surfers.

8:27 PM

 
Blogger sage said...

A free vegetarian dinner to join a cult... did you ask about the koolaid? Interesting artwork

8:48 PM

 
Blogger josh williams said...

ing I kinda put you in charge of my blog till around he 11th of this month, in return I will not comment, which should raise the average IQ of your commenters and...well its a win, win! Just don't let me post something stupid in my absence...My Best JW

9:29 PM

 
Blogger matty said...

Ing. I can't go surfing with you. I will be mistaken for a baby seal and will be club'd to death. can't happen. ...I could also be eaten by a shark who thinks I'm a baby seal.

...also, I'm worried that I might look like val kilmer in surf suit. that would not be good. of course, were that the case I would not be mistaken for a baby seal. i'd be a walrus.

of course, I am the walrus.

2:23 AM

 
Blogger Ticharu said...

I saw a pretty neat documentary too called The Story of the Weeping Camel, at lteast I thought it was neat... yoga is great, everyone should do yoga, heck, I should do yoga!
Dang it! I've never been aproached by a cult member! You have all the luck!

3:05 PM

 
Blogger ginab said...

That's who they guy is, mister Koolaid. Took me a minute.

Is it tomorrow yet? ;-)

I'm delaying...

-ginab

5:45 PM

 
Blogger matty said...

Where has my Ing gone to?!?!?!

Where o where?!?!?

9:17 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

sage:

I think kool-aid's okay as long as it's not grape. Purple spells doom.

______________

josh:

I passed the babysitting duty on to my butler. I hope that's okay.

______________

matty:

No, you're the egg man. And nobody will mistake you for a baby seal if you stop wearing that fur jumper all the time. It's too warm out for that!

_______________

tich:

I watched the preview, and I'm afraid to see it -- looks like a baby camel was separated from its mother? That kind of stuff makes me cry, even if it all turns out okay in the end.

I really do think yoga is amazing and that I will continue to practice it for a long time. I wish I had time to practice every single day, but all I can squeeze in is three times a week. Tonight!

________________

ginab:

The image is Marshall Applewhite from Heaven's Gate (cyanide, purple shrouds). The purple kool-aid guy is Jim Jones, of the People's Temple.

__________________

matty:

I'm right here!

11:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home