This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Oh, Good News, For Good


My friend and ex-coworker is moving down the street, just four blocks away, and while that might mean some late nights and dead mornings, I'm just thrilled.

Because people who live in San Francisco don't tend to stay in San Francisco. This city is tough on the bank account, and lately, there's been a mass exodus to Oakland. I find Oakland a bit distant. Though I do need plenty of alone-time, Oakland has swallowed up a few people who are near only in the most figurative sense. Nevertheless, I'm hanging in and on for dear life to my city, because San Francisco sustains me in ways that no other place can at the moment, and a friend down the street will sustain me further.

Which, hanging on in SF makes no practical sense, as my commute to work is long and expensive. But now, Lady Dahlia is moving just down the street! I remember when Ginab was a phone call away, and I remember how willing she was to drive over. Yoga, beer, movies and walks. The weekends, the evenings, the holidays when the town was deserted, me and the prospect of turkey pot pie. . .

I'm overjoyed that San Francisco has strengthened its grip on me. I'm here for good. For now.

5 Comments:

Blogger matty said...

Yay! That is awesome news! Glad she got a place!!! ...and that it is so close to you!

...sorry I got swallowed up.

8:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you'll have a pal nearby to hang out with, tho I do recall many many holiday breaks when, as soon as the curtain fell on academic time, you were running off to the train station to hightail it out of "nowhereville" (my town). And I had no one to hang out with. Bea Bea, of course, but three weeks with a thing that wanders around on four legs is kind of hard to contend with...in a bar. Just kidding. I know, in other words, what it means to be without a friend nearby. And certainly nowadays too (I do know).

It's a shame tho how distance is preceived. With out of sight out of mind being the most extreme!

SF is really expensive and companies there don't pay what people need to live on, which is what keeps me where I am and then I would so much rather move to British Columbia. Hocus pocus. I could nest there.

And you could visit. Imagine that train ride. yowza!

enjoy!

-ginab

PS: my worst student dropped. WHEW! The ROTC connection? whew.

12:13 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

Matty:

Oh, you? I wasn't talking about YOU!

Sheesh, some people think the world revolves around them. . .

: )

______________

ginab:

Did I do that? What a creep I am! I have stopped wandering around on my four legs in bars for weeks at a time, though it was my old habit to do so. Sorry 'bout that. I didn't think anyone noticed.

Yes, SF can be like that, I know. But someday, some way, I'll beat the system! I just have to THINK. If you move to BC, though, I'll check it out. Could be really great there, who knows?

And WHEW!

6:34 PM

 
Blogger ginab said...

Memory can be such a funny thing! Twas Bea Bea on all fours, hanging out with me, back in those days you'd be hightailing it west. I'm not real convinced by "place" but I've seen neato personal pics of BC and of course I'm all nuts about getting out of this fine country. If there were a few bricks--just bricks--classified as "land outside the US" I would move there.

8:31 PM

 
Blogger ginab said...

PS: You didn't think anyone noticed?! hmmm.

8:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home