This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A Political Rant, By Ingrid

First, I apologize to you if your views don't match mine. I don't want to argue right now. I just want to rant.

SO, I hear tell that some voters don't like Barack Obama because he speaks like an "intellectual." They feel he's talking down to them. If you are one of those people, I have some news. Barack Obama isn't talking specifically to you. He cannot see you through the television screen! You, sitting there on your couch or in your chair or on the floor or what have you: Barack Obama doesn't have super powers! To think that he's speaking with just you in mind is incredibly narcissistic and, to be honest, kind of insane-sounding. Barack Obama is addressing as many voters as he can because he wants us all to vote for him.

And would you honestly feel better if he talked to voters not as though we were fellow intellectuals but instead as though we, the American public, were all really really stupid? Would you feel more kindly toward him, in other words, if he underestimated you? Is that it? Or maybe you mean that you'd like him to dumb down his speech because you'd feel better having a dumb leader. Is that it?

Or is there something more insidious at work, here? What is it about Obama's intelligence that makes you uncomfortable? Could it be that you can't handle the idea that a black man isn't making an effort to hide the fact that he's smart, out of deference to those who've always had all the power? Is that what's so irksome about him?

Oops, I just expressed my anger, and since I'm female, I realize that I have been strident. Ah, me.

Anyway. . .

9 Comments:

Blogger purplesime said...

Eloquently put.

Long may your thighs look fantastic, your tummy flatter and your lung capacity large.

And strident with italics. Oh, there is a God(ess) ;-)

My word verfication is boybq. Is that, perhaps, a barbecue for boys? Or just the way a Southern belle pronounces the word barbecue?

2:49 AM

 
Blogger sage said...

Good rant. You ask: "And would you honestly feel better if he talked to voters not as though we were fellow intellectuals but instead as though we, the American public, were all really really stupid?"

In other words, if he would only talk to us like Georgie Boy and King Paulson?

3:32 AM

 
Blogger ginab said...

front page! front page!!! This must go on the front page news. blast off on news sites and I am being serious.

holy linguist. I wuv u for what you've said. you read my heart!

-ginab

12:44 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

Purps:

Wow, thanks! And if Southern belles came from New Joisey, maybe they'd talk about boybecues.

My thighs are becoming more fantastic every day, and my stomach is progressively flattening, and my lung capacity continues to expand. So despite the job situation, I've got everything under control. Whew!

______________

sage:

Well, I do get tired of being underestimated by the media and by the people who (somewhat arbitrarily, if you ask me) have more power than me, and I never found the tactic convincing, myself. In fact, I find it rather insulting. Especially when I'm forced to bear it because no other tactic is used in deference to the few who scream out that they are the vast majority. I certainly don't believe that most of us are stupid and mediocre. But it's a popular stance.

____________

ginab:

Awww, I wuv you, too!

5:39 PM

 
Blogger matty said...

(Leaning ever so slightly toward the microphone which is really not required from an audio standpoint)

Well, gosh and my goodness, Miss Moderator -- I might not answer that question or any of the questions in a way that you expect...

(impishly cute twinkle around my eyes) but I will say (a ever so slight hostile pause) but I do tolerate all people. (raising my tiny fist in the cutest way possible) Cause, I'm a little maverick!

kisses and lots of hearts
me

6:49 PM

 
Blogger Ticharu said...

With the decline in the average American brain, if you want to be elected, you might want to hide your ability to reason behind really stupid rhetoric.

I'd rather see the Dems get in this time, it's just a logical progression, but actually casting a vote for either party feels really disgusting...

1:23 AM

 
Blogger atomicelroy said...

It's spelled Barack Obama.

4:45 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

matty:

Would you please tell the tolerant Ms. Palin to step back from the microphone for a moment? I've heard so many folksy aphorisms lately, and I'm so confused!

____________

rk:

I know what you mean about being kind of disappointed. But y'know, I just don't think we're as stupid as all that.

____________

atomic:

Thanks!

11:13 PM

 
Blogger ing said...

p.s., atomic:

I think that's the whole problem with rants - people get all emotional, and they get ahead of their words, and this haste to express things results in a bunch of spittle that provokes meanness and anger, which isn't very productive at all. . .

12:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home