This blog is welcome to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Unless you don't like writing short stories or smelling bear. Or if you voted for the other guy. Also, I don't really like it when you leave up the toilet seat, so could you stop doing that? Muchas, muchas gracias.

Monday, September 29, 2008

But Why, If I'm Running 3 Miles A Day, Am I Not Losing Weight?

Wow, looking for a job takes a lot of time! I feel like I'm working just as hard at applying for things as I did at my full-time job! And then there's all the paperwork involved with being unemployed, the COBRA insurance, the lapsing 401k. . . and, of course, my ex-employer made an error that I will have to straighten out over the phone. I'm discovering that a few of the jobs being advertised are just scams run by temp agencies hoping to garner information (or something). Or that's what I found when I googled the name of the business that called me in for an interview tomorrow morning. What a bummer!

By the end of the day I was so stressed out! I ran three miles in 30 minutes, and you know, running seems to help. At least I have control over something in my life. At least I can manage that. Plus, there's something in me that wants to run myself ragged. I think I want to wear out that side of me that's so full of anxiety. But it's tough. I spent a couple of hours at the bank, trying to rearrange my finances, and person after person came in to grill the tellers about whether or not the banks were about to fail. It was horrible. Then there's the upcoming election - everyone around me is making dire predictions. And finally, one of my housemates started talking about the likelihood that someone would steal my identity if I don't hurry up and purchase an antivirus product that I don't really think I can afford right now.

I think I'll get up early tomorrow. I think more running is in order.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ren said...

It wasn't until about a month after I started running steadily that I noticed the most weight loss. Your body adjusts incredibly, so it preserves calories during the rest of the day when it notices that you're burning them off faster than before. Just be patient.

To that end, don't stop running, even if it's only once in a while. Your body, being the wonderful, tricky thing that it is, will just rebound in weight beyond your wildest dreams. Almost as if it said, "screw you... I don't know when you're gonna go all nuts and start running again!"

6:34 AM

 
Blogger sage said...

I work out on average 4x a week, weights and either running or swimming, and never lose weight. Sounds like you have a lot going on being unemployed. Good luck finding a new position that you enjoy and allows you to use your talents

3:45 AM

 
Blogger Mone said...

What would we do without Google?? I'm serious, maybe the most important invention since the beginning of the net.

5:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home